Tuesday, February 10, 2009

druze-ish

so i was recently in israel (yeah, during the gaza, er, kerfuffle), and we ended up in a town outside of haifa, with a relatively diverse, relatively non-jewish population, including baha'i and druze populations. here, we had arranged for us a "tour" of druze life. (this sort of things always brings up my internal conflict with "culture" tourism, but maybe more on that later...also maybe more about the druze faith which is really interesting in and of itself).

however, leaving aside debates about authenticity of experience, the tour ended in a really delicious meal, which i'm determined to try making some of. one of my favorites seemed to be just a cabbage leaf stuffed with nutmeg-seasoned white rice. i'm looking for insight on the following:

- does anyone know the name for these?
- also, when i experiment, i was going to try blanching the cabbage, like you would leaves for stuffed grape leaves...any other thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Confession Time: When I saw the picture I thought this was a slug of some sort, or maybe a huge intestinal bug. But when I read the description I thought: "I want to go to there."

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sequence of thoughts (or vice versa) is common for the middle east, i suspect.

    also, nice 30 rock ref.

    ReplyDelete