Friday, May 22, 2009

k-k-k-k-k-k-kathmandu


i assume that no one reads this blog except for my friends...well, mostly my mother, actually. in any case, most people reading this will have been a party, to a greater or lesser degree, to my last several months of insanity as my plans for next year came together.

for those of you who haven't been filled in on every detail as it comes, i won't bore you with it now, but i wanted to tell everyone that, barring a couple of hoops i'm still jumping through, i am, in fact, moving to nepal next year.

i'll be moving to kathmandu for a year (maybe longer?) and doing sustainable development work in rural areas. my departure date isn't totally set yet, but it'll be sometime in july. 'til then, i'll be in new haven until mid-june, and then on the cape until i leave.

i've actually already had my first travel prep related adventure. i went to costco the other day to buy food for a huge dinner party and, after being told at orientation that condoms are hard to come by in nepal, i thought it would be advisable to stock up, right? well, it's not every day that the question "do you sell condoms in bulk?" meets with an unblinking "sure. they're on sale". i sort of boxed in the 3 boxes (yes, some might say that 120 condoms is excessively optimistic) with some produce, more out of instinct than active shame. however, i definitely set another gold standard for awkwardness when the scanner broke down right before the condoms, resulting in at least three costco employees thinking that i was planning a very health dinner party...and a very safe orgy.

anyway, i'm psyched to be able to report back to you all on my attempts to learn nepali, my first taste of yak, my new apartment in kathmandu, and all my other adventures. hope i get to see you all before i go!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats. I'm pretty sure yak tastes like ox which is pretty much tastes like beef. I would assume the spices would be different though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, for one, am insanely jealous.
    I just got invited to the Kathmandu NA Convention by our friend Sunil and will have to beg off.
    Please come to Maine and visit before you go. You don't even need to bring the blonde chick with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not for posting...

    I don't know if you figgur'd out who I am?
    It's Ted and Carlie....
    now that I know you are there, "friend" me on Facebook [link on Kitt or PhoeZ pages] so Carlie and I can keep up with your adventures.
    Love ya, Babe
    TED

    ReplyDelete
  4. UM WHAT. That's awesome. But it's only June (GASP!), so I won't worry yet.

    ReplyDelete