Wednesday, March 4, 2009

FML: john legend

so work this week is making flow charts/report writing until my eyes bleed. times like this, i'm really glad that few people work around me. we share our building with an eclectic group of yale organizations (the episcopal church at yale? the lgbt co-op? the yale angler's jounal?) each with few employees, so there's virtually no day to day contact with other people. given that the building seems to have been decorated in Early American Psych Ward, this can get a little, er, wearing. on the bright side, this means i can listen to music in my office, pretty much as loudly as i'd like.

lately, my music selection of choice has been my pandora quickmix of common, the temptations, and amy winehouse (a largely neo-soul/"conscious" hip-hop mix that only stufftwhitepeoplelike could love). from this, i've been reminded of why i originally purchased john legend's "get lifted". my roomate and i were just talking about how insufferable the contemporary r&b genre can be...which gave me the opportunity to rant about how so many artists who are put into the r&b/pop category today spit on the legacy of CLASSIC r&b that they've inherited. one exception that i think stands out is john legend, who, while unapologetically producing that babymakin' music, does it with style and originality: interesting collaborations, musical integrity, and honest to god throwback-to-motown sound.

anyway, that's all just my opinion, and really by way of dressing up how embarassed i was, nonetheless, to be caught by our cute wireless installer guy, singing along to slow dance and dancing around in my chair like a fool. FML.



at least it wasn't this one (it's even worse as you read the lyrics)...

No comments:

Post a Comment